Home Maintenance Reminder: A/C Set Up and Check Up. Provided by the Queens Home Team at Keller Williams Realty Landmark II. Need help, or have a question? Feel free to Contact Us anytime.
Temperatures are rising with much warmer days just around the corner.
It might seem like we just got through winter but spring has already sprung and the warm weather will be here before we know it. Now is the time to reinstall your window A/C unit so it’s ready to go when those warmer days do arrive. If you have Central A/C, then now is the time to schedule a check up so it’s running at full speed when the temperature really heats up.
Window A/C Set-Up
Some homeowners employ handymen or HVAC reps to properly install their window units as they can be quite heavy. For those of you who usually do this yourself, generally the steps to take are the following:
- Pull out the unit and clean/vacuum any dust that may have accumulated during storage on both the exterior and interior of the unit.
- If you have previously taken them off, reinstall the side filler panels that will fill in the window box to the left and right of the unit.
- Set the unit in the window, making sure the bottom rail is against the outside edge of the window sill.
- Next, lower the window sash back down so that it touches the top of the unit behind its top rail.
- Expand the side panels to the left and right so that they touch the sides of the window casing and attach them according to the instructions in your user manual.
- Cut a window seal to the width of the window and insert it between the upper and lower window sashes to keep warm air from seeping into the room behind the unit. Use weather seal to close any other gaps.
Central A/C Maintenance
Experts agree that scheduling a licensed HVAC contractor every spring for thorough inspection & maintenance of your A/C system is one of the best things you can do.
A poorly maintained and/or inefficient A/C unit could be costing you huge amounts of money and could prove to be a safety risk.
You should trim any plants, shrubs, or trees around the exterior A/C unit(s) if they are near or coming in contact with it. We highly recommend that annual service of the mechanical components of your A/C system be completed by a certified HVAC or other cooling specialist. Some of the main things they should do in this annual service include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspecting condensation drains & thermostats.
- Checking the air temperature splits.
- Inspecting the compressor, motors, etc and lubricating where necessary.
- Checking all operations of your system to the highest efficiency.
- Checking and/or topping off refrigerant level(s)
- Checking and/or replacing your air filter(s)
The Queens Home Team is a group of top real estate agents in Queens NY. Our team members are not only experts at what they do, but more importantly, they are driven by their desire to help people. The team approach is what truly separates us from the average Queens broker, because while most agents are one person doing several things, we have several agents great at it! This ensures expertise throughout all stages of the transaction and allows us to provide the superior level of service our clients deserve. We understand that real estate is a service industry, therefore we treat it as such. Rest assured that when you work with the Queens Home Team, you’ll be in good hands, with people who care 🙂